Cardio Tune Up: How to Get Real Results from Your Cardio Workout
- Do you know your heart rate training range? It's easy to figure out and check manually. It just takes two fingers and a watch with a second hand. Or you can use a device like a heart rate monitor. There are a lot of high tech choices now that make the old bulky black jobs so old-fashioned.
- Are you using it to create intervals in your workout? Interval training is all the rage. By adding intervals of faster paced, higher intensity activity into your workout you train your heart to work in the higher ranges plus you burn more calories. Speed up, recover and repeat at a ratio of 1:2, one minute of push followed by two minutes of recovery.
- Do you vary your routine by using workouts of different length and intensity? Create a cycle of three workouts, always allowing for at least a 5 minute warm up and cool down. Do each of the workouts twice a week using any cardio activity.
- High Gear: 30 minutes total, sustaining the fastest pace you can for 20 minutes.
- Intervals: 45 minutes total, alternating between high intensity and recovery.
- Long, slow distance: 60 minutes total, using a steady, moderate pace for the entire time.
Make your workouts more fun, interesting and challenging and you will get results! Contact us with your questions and comments on Facebook.